Mentoring high school and undergraduate students is an important part of our research work at OHSU. Here’s a checklist of steps you need to take to ensure your trainee has the best experience possible:
What we need to know about volunteers and interns
If you are mentoring a high school or undergraduate student or teacher this summer, either on your own or through any program (such as CURE, ASE, OIDD Summer Youth Employment Program, Murdock Collaborative Research Program, CROET Summer Student Research Awards, Partners in Scientific Inquiry, etc.), please email Susan Shugerman, Assistant Vice Provost for Education Outreach, with the name and grade level (high school or undergraduate) of the individual(s) you are mentoring. Please indicate if they are here as a participant in a particular program.
Protecting your interns and volunteers
- Any student who is not being paid for their work at OHSU, including high school and undergraduate students doing unpaid summer internships, must register as an OHSU Volunteer. Please contact Amber Bruner for detailed instructions on this process. Registration will insure the student’s eligibility for Workers’ Compensation benefits in the event of a work related injury. Volunteer enrollment and reporting of volunteer hours is necessary for the receipt of workers’ compensation in the event of an injury.
- If the student is being paid, they are in the OHSU system and are automatically covered by Workers’ Compensation.
- Please refer to the instructions for Visiting Scientists and Other Affiliates to insure you complete the necessary steps for hosting a student over the summer. Some of these requirements should be completed before the visitor’s arrival on campus (such as the Background Disclosure Form).
- If your student is under the age of 18, please refer to the Guidelines for Hosting Minors in Labs at OHSU.
Join the party for interns and volunteers
The Office of Science Education Opportunities is hosting a mid-summer pizza party for high school and undergraduate students and teachers on campus this summer, to meet peers and learn about campus programs and resources that may be of interest. An invitation to this optional event will be sent to all OHSU mentors and visiting summer students. Please make a note of these dates and times:
- West Campus – Tuesday, July 12, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m., Primate Center, Malinow Lunch Room
- Marquam Hill Campus – Thursday, July 14, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m., Old Library Auditorium, Great Hall
If you have any questions about the above, please contact Susan Shugerman at 503-494-5103.