A message from Environmental Health & Radiation Safety Director John W. Burnham, PhD:
As many of you know, on the evening of February 17th there was a chemical spill in the Medical Research Building (MRB) that resulted in the evacuation of the building. A small quantity of acrolein was spilled on an open bench top. Acrolein is volatile and can cause serious irritation to the eyes and respiratory system at very low levels. Environmental Health & Radiation Safety (EHRS) would like to remind everyone that handling open containers of acrolein and chemicals with similar characteristics must occur only in a fume hood.
I’d like to take this opportunity to remind you that EHRS has laboratory safety training for all research laboratory employees. This training is mandatory and can be accessed at BigBrain. We have also consulted with the Toxicology Information Center (TIC) at CROET. The TIC is a public service and is a great resource on the use and properties of toxic chemicals.
If you have further questions about acrolein, please call EHRS at ext. 47795.
John W. Burnham, Ph.D.