Mentoring high school and undergraduate students is an important part of our research work at OHSU. Here’s a checklist of steps you need to take to ensure your trainee has the best experience possible:
Registering and protecting your interns and volunteers
- Any student who is not being paid to work at OHSU (including students doing unpaid internships) MUST register as an OHSU Volunteer. Please email Amber Cousins for detailed instructions on this process. Registration will ensure the student’s eligibility for Workers Compensation Benefits in the event of a work related injury. If the student is receiving a paycheck, they are in the system and are covered.
- Refer to the instructions for Visiting Scientists and Other Affiliates to complete all the necessary sets for hosting a student over the summer. Please note, some of these requirements should be completed before the visitor’s arrival on campus, such as the Background Disclosure Form.
- If your student is under the age of 18, please refer to the Guidelines for Hosting Minors at OHSU.
What we need to know about volunteers and interns
- If you are mentoring a high school or undergraduate student or teacher this summer, either on your own or through any program (such as CURE, ASE, OIDD Summer Youth Employment Program, Murdock Collaborative Research Program, CROET Summer Student Research Awards, Partners in Scientific Inquiry, etc.), please email Susan Shugerman, Assistant Vice Provost for Education Outreach & Collaboration, with the name and grade level (HS or undergraduate) of the individual(s) you are mentoring. Please also indicate if they are here as a participant in a particular program.
Join the party for interns and volunteers
- The Office of Science Education Opportunities is hosting a welcome session for high school and undergraduate students and teachers on campus this summer, to meet peers and learn about various campus programs and resources that may be of interest. An invitation to this optional event will be sent to all OHSU mentors and students working at OHSU as interns. Please make a note of these dates and times:
West Campus – Monday, June 28, 11:00 – 12:30 p.m., Primate Center, Malinow Lunch Room
Marquam Hill Campus – Tuesday, June 29, 11:30 – 1 p.m., Marquam Room (inside MacHall Café)