Proposals due May 11th, 2009
A new opportunity as a result of the stimulus funds has just emerged – The newly announced Pacific Northwest Regional Center of Excellence (PNWRCE) at VGTI is seeking proposals from OHSU investigators and beyond in response to NIH ARRA stimulus funds. The NIH has special funds set aside through their Regional Center of Excellence program to fund projects through PNWRCE, an OHSU center focused on biodefense and emerging infectious disease research. PNWRCE is eligible to submit proposals directly to the NIH on behalf of OHSU investigators. You do not need to be part of the PNWRCE to be eligible: in fact, investigators with existing RCE projects are not eligible. View the full RFA here.
If interested, the deadline is tight – proposals must be submitted to PNWRCE by May 11th, 2009 (details below). PNWRCE will review and submit the top proposals to the NIH; PNWRCE can submit approximately 6 proposals.
Scope: All areas of investigation that are suitable for RCE funding (as outlined in the RFA AI-08-002) are eligible for support with these funds including proof of principle work, product oriented studies, and basic research related to biodefense and emerging infectious disease research (view the categories of priority pathogens and emerging infectious disease that are within the scope of this opportunity). To qualify for support through the ARRA, projects must be exceptionally innovative. The research must demonstrate that it is of high risk but has the potential for high payoff if successful. It is expected that while these “out of the box” projects entail a greater than the usual degree of scientific risk, they hold the potential for delivering transformational results or paradigm shifts. While the funding for these projects will terminate no more than two years after the award, it is expected that many of them will be able to continue with support from other sources.
Eligibility: You must be a PI working within Region X (Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska). Collaborators may work be outside this region, however. Previous experience in the fields of biodefense or emerging infectious diseases is not required, and there is no requirement that the proposed research align with the thematic goals of the PNWRCE. Existing RCE projects may not be supplemented.
Amount: Your project should request no less than $200,000 in direct costs per year for one or two years. There is no maximum amount. All funds must be spent by the end of the award period. No clinical trials will be supported, and any involvement of human subjects must not entail more than minimal risk.
Application process: Submit your application to PNWRCE by May 11th, 2009. Applicants must submit 10 hard copies and an electronic copy to the addresses below. Use the standard PHS398 forms available, and include only the following in your application:
- Form Page 1: Face Page, institutional signatures not required. If the application is selected for award, we will request formal institutional signatures at that time.
- Dates of proposed period of support should be one or two years starting June 2009.
- Form Page 2: Summary, Relevance, etc.
- Form Page 4: Detailed Budget for Initial Funding Period.
- Form Page 5: Budget for Entire Period (up to 2 years) and justification
- Biographical Sketch and Research Support for all Key Personnel
- Research Plan (5 pages maximum): Include Specific Aims, Background and Significance, Preliminary Studies (not required), and Research Design/Methods.
- Clearly identify why the proposed research is highly innovative and addresses major challenges.
- Include Protection of Human Subjects, Targeted/Planned Enrollment Tables, Vertebrate Animals, and Select Agent Research/Biohazard sections, as appropriate. Projects with inadequate sections addressing protection of human subjects or use of vertebrate animals will not be considered.
Send 10 hard copies to:
Pacific Northwest Regional Center of Excellence
Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute
Oregon Health & Science University
505 NW 185th Ave, VGTI
Beaverton, OR 97006
Send electronic copy to Cheryl Oliver-Pickett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact Cheryl Oliver-Pickett at 503.418.2705 or email@example.com.