A Q&A with Pediatric Hem/Onc nurse Lily

Lily and another wonderful Hem/Onc nurse, Patsy!

Lily, left and another wonderful Hem/Onc nurse, Patsy!

Happy Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Day! We appreciate our incredible nurses every day of the year, but wanted to show some extra love for the RNs who care for our Hem/Onc patients.

We snagged a few minutes with Registered Nurse Lily Doebler to ask why she chose this career, what inspires her and more!

What made you decide you wanted to be a Hem/Onc nurse?

After I finished my undergraduate degree, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I knew I loved kids, so I started volunteering here at Doernbecher in 2006 or 2007 as a “float” volunteer. I found that I loved volunteering on 10S with the Hem/Onc patients – I fell in love with the kids and their families. I love working with families in the long term, getting to know them and building relationships. That’s what I like best about Hem/Onc nursing.

What’s your favorite part about your job? The most challenging?

My favorite part is the kids! They constantly inspire me, crack me up and keep me on my toes. They are truly the  toughest people on the planet and my heroes. The toughest part is witnessing their suffering – treatment is hard.

A patient shaved Lily's head at a St. Balrick's Foundation event earlier this year.  Photo by Marie Sullivan

A patient shaved Lily’s head at a St. Balrick’s Foundation event earlier this year. Photo courtesy of Marie Sullivan

What do you wish people knew about Hem/Onc nursing? 

It’s not all doom and gloom! We have a playroom, and kids play. We do a good job, and a LOT of our kids get better. Another thing I wish more people knew is that childhood cancer research is so underfunded.

What words of encouragement would you like to share with Doernbecher families?

Kids are amazing and resilient and tough. And you’ve got us here with you always!

What advice would you give aspiring nurses?

Nurses have to love what they do to be great at it. Find the type of nursing that speaks to you and that you love with all of your heart, then do that.

***

Got a Doernbecher nurse you’d like us to thank? Leave a message in the comments below or email us at socialmedia@ohsu.edu. We’ll be sure to pass along your message! 

1. We LOVE Lily!! She was there for my sons first bone marrow transplant in 2009 and has been there every step of the way since, through new diagnosis in 2014 etc. We also love Simone and Michelle (BMT) both from hem/onc. ❤️

Lisa McMahan is a social media coordinator working to discover and share stories at OHSU. Got a story idea? Connect with the team: socialmedia@ohsu.edu.
Doernbecher Best in the Country U.S. News & World Report

wordpress stats plugin