A note of thanks from 8-year-old former NICU patient Elle

Hi my name is Elle. I’m 8 years old and in the third grade. I was born in Silverton, Oregon, but was quickly taken to Doernbecher where I spent the first two weeks of my life in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Since then I have spent many days at the hospital with 10 different surgeries and lots of doctor’s visits. I am happy that Doernbecher is my hospital because they do everything they can do make a difficult situation better.

My favorite things are weekly Bingo and the prize cart, the ice cream, and lots of visits from fun people … and sometimes pets! My team of doctors is great. They help me grow stronger and make my life better.

Dr. Myall is my favorite doctor. He has been with me since I was a baby and I was sad that he retired last year.

Because so many people have donated toys, movies and their time to make my hospital time better, I wanted to give back. I chose to have a lemonade stand and donate the money to Doernbecher.

Lots of people stopped by and shared their own special stories about their experiences with the hospital.

I am happy we raised $150 for Doernbecher.

When I grow up I want to be a veterinarian. I would like to take care of animals just like Doernbecher has taken care of me.

My time at the hospital is unfortunately not over with at least 12 more surgeries to go. But I am happy that I have the very best people taking care of me.

Thank you to all the wonderful doctors and nurses that have helped me!

Love,
Elle

1. <3

Tamara Hargens-Bradley is a senior communications specialist for Oregon Health & Science University and OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital. She is the editor of the Healthy Families blog.
Doernbecher Children's Hospital

Doernbecher Children’s Hospital

wordpress stats plugin