‘Because some kids need help’: 9-year-old novelist raises $500 for Doernbecher

On one warm Thursday I woke up and was so excited. “It is the big day,” exclaimed Zoe. I know you must be wondering. I will tell you all about it.

Well one hot summer day, me (Zoe) and my friend Tess decided to raise money for the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. So we started right away.

On a Tuesday my Aunt Mary came over and taught us how to make packs of greeting cards. When we made the cards, we used stamps. Some were of bunnies, cats, dogs and more. There were five cards in each pack. There were also five envelopes in each pack. We made birthday cards, thank you and blank cards. I love making cards and so does Tess.

Another way we raised money was by washing cars. We asked people to pay fifteen dollars for the inside and fifteen dollars for the outside. We washed my Uncle Rick’s car, my Aunt Carol’s car and a bunch more. I never knew cleaning cars was so hard.

At the end of the summer, we thought to ourselves, why did we do this project and then we remember we did this project because some kids need help.

Altogether we raised $500. I had so much fun and I think Tess did too. Ella, my little sister, also enjoyed helping us. Well today I am going to meet Sara who works at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. I met her and handed her $500 cash. She said, “THANK YOU!” I felt amazing at that moment.

The hospital is a wonderful place for children and adults. “Everyone at DCH is always safe, happy and loved!” exclaimed Zoe.

Zoe Taaffe, 9
Fourth-grader, Byrom Elementary School
(In her spare time, Zoe likes to write books.)

Tamara Hargens-Bradley is Associate Director of Media Relations for Oregon Health & Science University, OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital. She is the editor of the Healthy Families blog.
Doernbecher Children's Hospital

Doernbecher Children’s Hospital

wordpress stats plugin