The Moderator Band, named after a structure in the right ventricle of the heart, formed in spring 1982 when I and a group of fellow first-year medical students/musicians got together to play at the ALL Hill Talent Show on Marquam Hill. We played at the talent show every spring, along with a few All Hill Dances and parties, until graduation in 1985.
After graduation came years of residency training and the start of new medical careers and no time for music. About 10 years ago, we re-started the Moderator Band with five of the original physicians still living in Portland. We get together every Wednesday night in Brenda and Jim Kehoe’s basement for great fun, music and friendship.
Each year we support a charitable organization by providing musical entertainment at fundraising events. Last year we raised more than $2,000 for the Nick Wilson Charitable Group, a foundation that helps kids and families in the Doernbecher Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Program.
This year we are playing for the Oregon Food Bank.
The Oregon Food Bank benefit concert will be held Saturday, Feb. 9, from 6 to 10 p.m., at the Lucky Labrador Public House, 7675 S.W. Capitol Highway, Portland. Admission = cash or a food donation.
Come and hear:
- Brenda Kehoe, M.D., OB/GYN, Everywoman’s Health, on vocals and percussion
- Jim Kehoe on keyboards, guitar and vocals
- Bill Rashid on vocals, lead and acoustic guitar
- Rob Skinner, M.D., Urology, Kaiser Permanente, on vocals, drums and mandolin,
- Steve Urman, M.D., Radiology, Mt. Hood Medical Center, on rhythm guitar
- Bob Bailey, M.D., Internal Medicine, Providence, on base guitar and vocals
- Mike Powers, M.D., Pediatric Pulmonology, Doernbecher, on vocals and percussion
The Moderator Band is still rockin’ after 30 years, and this is great chance to help those in need and have fun. Hope to see you there!
Mike Powers, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics
Head, Division of Pediatric Pulmonology
OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital