Visualize this: Telemedicine shows physicians the whole picture

As a neonatal-perinatal fellow, I quickly learned that my expertise and ability to help infants extended well beyond the physical walls of OHSU Doerbecher Children’s Hospital.

Hospitals from throughout Oregon and Southern Washington would call to ask a question about a patient, or when they had infants too sick to be cared for locally. Initially, these calls came over the phone. I realized how difficult medicine was when I wasn’t able to see the patient. Instead, I was relying on the physical exam and vital signs assessment done by other providers.

I learned creative ways to ask how a child appeared in an attempt to get a picture of that child, how critically ill he or she might be, and to help better direct the care and start the treatment plan before the child even arrived Portland.

Early in my fellowship, we began our telemedicine program in the neonatal intensive care unit. Telemedicine’s two-way, audio-video technology allows us to visually and verbally connect with a hospital outside of Portland and to see and communicate with physicians and patients.

Telemedicine Transport

I remember getting a phone call about an infant who was sick and needed to come to Portland.  The baby needed to have a special type of IV, called an umbilical vein catheter, or UVC. OHSU Doernbecher’s PANDA transport team, which is well versed in UVCs, wouldn’t arrive for more than an hour.  I recall asking the referring provider if she had ever placed a UVC.  “It has been awhile,” she replied.  I quickly connected to her telemedicine robot from my computer. It was as if I was instantly transported to Mid-Columbia Medical Center in The Dalles.

I easily communicated with the staff, who were amazing. Step-by-step, I walked the provider through placement of the UVC.  I remember starting to use my hands a few times. I felt like I was so close to the baby that I just wanted to reach out and assist with the procedure.

Instead, I had to use my words to guide the physician in The Dalles through the steps.  Thanks to the telemedicine robot, I was able to zoom in on the infant’s umbilical cord when the on-site provider had a question, and confirm the UVC was placed correctly. By the time the transport team arrived, the infant had the much-needed umbilical line in place and was ready to be transported to Portland as quickly as possible.

I have no doubt that the ability to use the telemedicine robot to guide placement of the UVC saved valuable time for the infant and instilled confidence in the local team.  I know that the provider would not have felt comfortable attempting the procedure without the minute-by-minute guidance and oversight that the telemedicine robot allowed me to provide.

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Each time I use telemedicine, I’m amazed at how much this quote rings true. I have used telemedicine in many situations to assess whether an infant needed to be transported to Portland, to diagnose a rash, to help a baby breathe immediately after birth, and to help a provider with a specific procedure. The sky is truly the limit with this technology, and I won’t be surprised if in the future we are able to use robot “hands” to actually assist with a procedure remotely.  Until then, I am fortunate that, with the click of a button, I can see and communicate directly with critically ill babies and their providers, even when they are on the other end of the state.

***

Hilary Redden was a pediatric resident and neonatology fellow at OHSU from June 2007 to June 2013. She will begin working as a neonatologist at Rogue Regional Medical Center in Medford in September.

1. Thank you, Jessica and Dr. Redden for sharing the care delivery experience through Remote Presence Telemedicine. It’s valuable to hear the perspective of the user and to know that the quality of lives are being improved!

2. Dr. Redden has joined our neonatology group in southern Oregon. This is a NICU that functions both as a spoke and a hub in terms of being both a unit that needs to refer patients to the top level units in Portland as well as a regional center for smaller facilities scattered out through the bottom third of the state. We are keenly aware of the benefits of telemedicine to maximize the precious resources of subspecialists that are concentrated in large metropolitan centers.

Jessica is the Social Media Manager for OHSU.
OHSU Health Fair at Pioneer Square.

Why 96,000 Square Miles?

President Robertson is fond of saying that OHSU has a 96,000 square mile campus, serving Oregonians “from Enterprise to Coos Bay, from Portland to Klamath Falls.”

This blog aims to highlight that breadth. 96,000 Square Miles (96K for short) will focus on the people of OHSU, the Oregonians we serve and the ripple effect of our work in Oregon and beyond.